Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Beliefs about Technology and Learning

I believe that technology can be a tremendous aid in teaching. Power points have become a regular method in many schools for giving information and notes. Prezi presentations are a more creative way for students to present a project. Smart boards provide many opportunities and are very versatile.  

A teacher can utilize technology in the classroom to make lessons more interesting, and engage students. What does not engage students, is a teacher who fumbles with their power point notes because they don't know how to open the file, or a professor who tries to give notes with a smartboard but doesn't know how to use one. 

Pauses during the lesson to fix the technology that can sometimes be full of glitches can distract students and break their focus during the class. That is why I believe it is very important that an instructor become very comfortable with the programs they are using in the classroom. This is especially relevant to me as an early childhood major. I won't be able to afford a 10 minute break to fix the computer, leaving all the students in the class without my full attention. Young children need to constantly be engaged and need to see the lesson as fun and interesting in order to keep their attention. 

5 comments:

  1. Great point about knowing the technology. I always try to work out the bugs before I enter into any tech lessons. There are times I become a little too confident in my skills and end up driving into a wall. Hate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you!! When a teacher can't figure out how to use the technology..and the STUDENT has to tell them what to do...wow. Enough said. Great blog--you elaborated well!

      Delete
  2. I've had a handful of instructors in my life who didn't have a strong grasp on how to use the technology they were trying to implement. I even had one professor at my former university that couldn't use a VCR! yikes. i agree that it definitely can take students out of the right mindset when they're watching a teacher fumble with powerpoint for five minutes before even starting the lesson, and stuff like that. it's an unnecessary distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with this. If a teacher does not know how to use the technology they should not be using it to teach. I believe they should practice before entering the classroom with it.

    ReplyDelete